First Regiment

Say hello and show off your bbDKP examples here ;)
Forum rules
caution, make sure your links work. posts with invalid urls will be deleted.
AJH
Farmhand
Farmhand

First Regiment

Post by AJH » 26 Aug 2016, 04:27

Hi all. I'm a professional software developer and PVE/Technical GM of First Regiment, a community focused PVP/PVE hybrid guild of about 150 players on Velen/Eonar US.

I previously was the IT Director for wiicafe.com/gamecubecafe.com and was the technical developer behind the Planetside server community site EmeraldNC. I was the developer of one of the main Teamspeak 2/PHPBB2 integration mods and am also the developer of the PHPBB 3.1 Battle.net oAuth plugin and the Battle.net oAuth support in the Lusitanian PHP oAuth library (AJH16 on Github). I have a Teamspeak 3/PHPBB 3.0 integration addon as well, though it was not released with PHPBB.com due to requiring some DB hacks that are not approved for addons (though if anyone wants to make use of it, feel free to PM me). I'm also a moderator on Stack Exchange's Video Production, Sound Design and Community Management sites.

I've been using bbDKP as the foundation for my guild's automation suite since shortly before Warlords started. I am running a heavily modified variant of the phpbb 3.0 addon. I do not actually make use of the DKP functionality, but rather use the Armory integration and roster management for guild management automation.

The process starts when a player registers on the forum. When they click the e-mail activation link, they are taken automatically to a modified form of the character add screen, however I have replaced character addition with oAuth functionality that queries the user's battle.net account for the characters in guild. From there, the system automatically updates group based on the highest ranked toon in guild. This group membership is also updated every 5 minutes in a batch update.

The system then automatically connects to the Teamspeak 3 server via a socket connection and initializes a privilege token with the user's forum ID and presents it as a ts3server:// link for the user to click. Clicking this link automatically launches TS and links the user's TS account with the forum account. From there, the 5 minute batch will push updates to both the group membership and teamspeak server based on rank in the battle.net api.

The final piece of the integration is a custom in-game addon and task scheduler script. The task scheduler script pulls down a savedvariables.lua file generated by the website every 15 minutes and when I or one of my co-GMs logs in to WoW, the latest data from the battle.net API is compared with the current state of the guild and neccessary updates to match the state on the forum are applied. This allows for players to manage the ranks of their own alts as well as their own player notes and also keeps officer notes up to date with forum usernames so alts can be tracked.

The entire system can function without any administrative interaction other than inviting a player to guild in game and promoting one of their toons. Removal also works in game. The only limitation is that demotions do not work properly as there is lag between when a change occurs in game and when the armory updates. This can result in the addon repromoting a demoted player under some circumstances, however I have a rank cap tool on the forum admin that can be used for restricting player ranks.

I have nightly jobs that update item levels, last active data and a few other things that have to be pulled from querying each character individually. I also have 5 minute updates on ranks and other details that are available within the guild listing from the API. I fixed the multiple realm issue so that duplicate character names can exist within a guild if they are on different servers (that was my first public commit to DKP).

I have also added a few unique administrative features such as a stat's page that will look at character and player stats based on in-game and forum activity to track the health of the guild over time, a new member tracker that lets us keep track of new players and make sure they get involved and don't fall through the cracks, an attrition tracker that keeps track of reasons for people leaving the guild and a new member survey that recruiters can fill out to keep a profile on new guildies.

The new member survey works through an integration with LimeSurvey that allows LimeSurvey data to be tied directly into the guild management systems and also allows for LimeSurvey tokens to be generated and linked automatically from survey topics in the forum.

I also have a PVP Roster management system that can deal with team management and tracking for multiple PVP teams, including attendance tracking, progression tracking and internal recruitment options as well as automatically advancing team requirement options (such as item level requirements or rating requirements that increase over time). The roster management attendance tracking is Teamspeak integrated so that it can look at who is online when events are starting and ending.

AJH
Farmhand
Farmhand

Re: First Regiment

Post by AJH » 26 Aug 2016, 21:03

The main forum

A topic with a linked survey. Each forum user is tied to a unique code for the survey.

User Profile

User Character Management

TS3 Linking Page

TS Client. The upper right corner icon also starts a sync/update.

PVP Roster (admin screen, users can see a subset)

New Member Survey. (Filled out by recruiter.)

New Member Survey Details

Initiate (New Player) Tracker. Only visible to appropriate officers.

Attrition Tracker. Only visible to appropriate officers.

Demotion/Rank Limiting Tool. Only available to GMs.

Guild Stats. Only available to appropriate officers.

ACP Guild Roster. Note the addition of confirmation of the user. Originally this was manual but the oAuth feature automated it. Confirmation is required before ranks will update automatically.

ACP Rank Forum Group Links. Links forum groups to ranks.

ACP TS Connection Info

ACP TS Group Settings. Ties forum groups to TS groups. Race and class icons are hard coded since I realized by then I wasn't going to be able to mass publicly release that extension without substantial additional work to make it meet PHPBB's standards.

Not shown is the survey details page for the new member survey data that is filtered based on what information a particular officer needs access to.